by Brian Zylstra | July 2nd, 2012
(Photos courtesy of Washington State Archives)
Back in 1940, the first week of July was a busy time for bridge dedications in our state.
July 1 marks the anniversary when the first Narrows Bridge (photo above) between Tacoma and the Kitsap Peninsula was dedicated in 1940. However, that bridge lasted only four months. On Nov. 7, 1940, “Galloping Gertie” collapsed in a windstorm. Fortunately, there was no loss of human life during the disaster, although a dog named Tubby perished. A new and improved Narrows Bridge was built years later, opening in 1950.
On July 2, 1940, a dedication ceremony was held for the opening of the Lake Washington Floating Bridge (photo below). In 1967, it was formally renamed the Lacey V. Murrow Memorial Bridge. The bridge, which goes from Seattle’s Mount Baker neighborhood east to Mercer Island, originally carried U.S. 10, which was later decommissioned and renamed Interstate 90. The bridge sank in November 1990 during a windstorm. The bridge was later rebuilt.