by Samantha Sunderland | September 24th, 2013
This 1915 photo shows Carl Monson (left) and his brother Arthur pretending to box on First Street in Langley. Their brother, Ernest, died from an accidental gunshot wound in 1910. Their father, Leander Monson committed suicide in 1908. Their mother, Emma, served on Langley’s all-woman town administration in 1920, along with her daughter, Esther, who served as Town Clerk. (Photos courtesy of Washington Rural Heritage.)
The State Library offers many online collections and resources that bring Washington’s rich history to you through your computer. One of them is the Washington Rural Heritage program. Photos and videos documenting the history of small and rural communities throughout Washington are organized and digitized for the modern-day history-lover. It features items important to Washington’s history, culture, places and people.
The newest addition to Washington Rural Heritage features photos and video clips from South Whidbey Island.
The South Whidbey Heritage collection is a collaborative effort from the Sno-Isle Libraries and the South Whidbey Historical Society. It draws upon institutional and private collections documenting the early history of the Whidbey Island communities of Langley, Freeland and Clinton.
There are many other Rural Heritage collections to check out, including Asotin County, Columbia County, Connell, Ellensburg, Enumclaw, Garfield County, Grandview, Kiona-Benton City, Lincoln County, Lopez Island, Lummi Island, Nisqually Canoe Journeys, Nooksack Valley, North Central Washington, North Olympic, North Pend Oreille, Odessa, Orcas Island, Prosser, Ritzville, Roslyn, San Juan Island, Sedro-Woolley, Skamania County, Stevens County, Vashon Island, Wahkiakum County and Whitman County.
In honor of autumn’s arrival, we are starting a series of blog posts, called “Falling for the State Library,” that highlight many of the State Library’s online collections, services and features. Much more to come!
Cars and people at the 1927 Island County Fair in Langley. Exhibits were housed in the unpainted gymnasium (built in 1920) adjacent to the two-story school (built in 1915). The fair was held at the Langley Marina from 1917 to 1920 when it moved up to the school grounds.