Debbie Bahn, the Electronic Records Archivist at the Digital Archives, and Eastern Washington University graduate intern Whitney Wyngaert manned the table at EWU’s John F. Kennedy Memorial Library in Cheney on Wednesday, October 3.
Bahn, Wyngaert, and EWU archivist Steve Bingo engaged with more than 30 students in two hours, describing the resources and educational opportunities available at the Washington State Archives as well as archival careers.
Deputy State Archivist Terry Badger provided an antique “magic lantern” slide projector to use as a prop, and students were particularly drawn to the 100-year-old device. One student who talked to Wyngaert and Bahn has already enquired about an internship at the Archives.
Questions asked during the event included:
- What does the working space of an archives look like?
- How do I locate archives that have material for my research project?
- Your archives building looks scary! I’m afraid to come in. (We told him to call for a tour!)
- I want to be an archivist. What classes should I take?
- Is it easy to get into the profession?