The Government Printing Office (GPO) in partnership with the Library of Congress just announce the release of the digital (online) availability of the Bound Congressional Record, 1961 – 1970 on govinfo.gov. This means you can now search the Bound Congressional Record from 1961 to the present!
If you remember that era there is probably some iconic event that stays fresh in your mind such as the invasion of the Beatles and other British rock groups, the Assassinations of President John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Bobby Kennedy. Did you watch the 1969 U.S. landing on the moon on television? What about these (thanks to GPO for the list)?
- The Administrations of Presidents John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, and the first two years of the Administration of President Richard M. Nixon
- The Civil Rights Era
- The Vietnam War
- Legislation of the Great Society and the War on Poverty, including:
- Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Voting Rights Act of 1965
- Fair Housing Act of 1968
- Medicare and Medicaid
- Economic Opportunity Act of 1964
- Immigration Act of 1965
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965
- Endangered Species Act of 1966
- Public Broadcasting Act of 1967
“This latest digital release of the Congressional Record now gives the public easy access to the historic debates of Congress from the 1960s via smartphones, tablets, laptops, and personal computers.” (GPO Director Davita Vance-Cooks.)
Need more information or assistance in finding congressional information? We love to help! You can reach us by clicking here.